We understand the importance of a career path for people that are career minded. With approximately 800 positions in the organisation across a range of different areas, our people have many opportunities to progress at the Palmer Nickel and Cobalt Refinery. We have a culture of promoting from within where possible and encourage ongoing career development.
Learning & Development
Supporting our career pathways are Learning and Development programs that promote progression within our business.
Programs that are in place include:
- Competency based training
- Externally recognised training
- QN Group Leadership Program
We provide on the job training and development through ongoing feedback and formal reviews based on individual’s goals, our reward and recognition program, promotion reviews and succession planning.
We also outline to employees the high performance attributes and related competencies that are expected of them, as well as the behaviours that contribute to success at each career stage within the company.
This helps everyone to understand what is required to progress their career at the Palmer Nickel and Cobalt Refinery and allows them to:
- Set goals for contributing to business and personal performance
- Receive feedback about performance and behaviour
- Assess and guide their own performance throughout the year
- Understand the basis for recognition and remuneration decisions
We have a generous Study Assistance Program for employees wishing to further their careers through formal study. Benefits may include:
- Reimbursement of approved course costs
- Subsidised travel and accommodation
- Reimbursement of materials and text book costs
- Study leave
Approved study that employees have undertaken with our support include:
- Diploma of Management
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Engineering
- Masters of Engineering
- Electrical Instrumentation
- Occupational Health and Safety
- Associate Degree in Engineering
- Masters in Professional Accounting
- Masters in Business Administration
Training – Get your tickets!
The Palmer Nickel and Cobalt Refinery provides competency based training for all areas of our business. We encourage our employees to obtain nationally recognised accreditation, or ‘tickets’, as part of their ongoing development.
This training includes:
- Confined Space, Working at Heights
- Forklift, Work Platform, Crane Operations
- Workplace Health and Safety Representative
Graduates and Apprentices
Graduate and Apprentice programs are available within our business. These programs are structured to allow the opportunity to work in different areas within the business as part of individual programs.
Graduates roles may include:
- Environmental Science
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Structural/Civil Engineering
- Human Resources
- Information Technology
- Mining Engineer
Apprentices may include:
- Mechanical Fitters
- Diesel Fitters
- Refrigeration Mechanic
Our performance appraisal system allows genuine and ongoing communication at all times between employees and their supervisors.
We have a review process that provides employees with the opportunity to review and receive feedback on their personal performance. It also provides an opportunity to discuss career direction and learning and development aspirations.