Carefully selected to best represent our approach to business, our values are lived and breathed by our employees every day. Our company values link directly to outcomes, creating a respectful and satisfying workplace.
Our emphasis on Safety, Credibility, Respect, Accountability and Results are the foundation upon which we build our success.
The Palmer Nickel and Cobalt Refinery has been in operation since 1974. During that time we have seen the closing of our major source of raw product – the Greenvale nickel mine, Paul Keating’s ‘Recession we had to have’’, stock market crashes, changes of ownership, the Global Financial Crisis, major Cyclones and industry downturns.
We continue to respond to whatever business challenges are thrown at us to ensure our job security.
Today we have the financial strength of an ASX Top 50 organisation coupled with mobility and quick decision making of a single owner to respond to opportunities and challenges that face our business.
Underpinning our commitment to Sustainable Development, we undertake a number of employee driven initiatives to support the environment.
- Voluntary wildlife carers – We have registered wildlife carers within our organisation and we support the need for nursing orphaned and injured animals into good health.
- Possum release area – We have a possum release area contained in our land holdings, including nesting boxes within their native habitat.
We have a diverse and international workforce at the Palmer Nickel and Cobalt Refinery. Together with over 800 employees at the Refinery, we have staff in offices in Brisbane, Noumea in New Caledonia, Jakarta in Indonesia, Manila in the Philippines, and China.
The QN Group supports the employment and mentoring of diverse work groups. We actively engage in activities that support workplace gender equality and recognition of cultural differences.
The QN Group is an avid supporter of our community, contributing an estimated $300 million per year to the North Queensland economy through purchasing goods and services from local suppliers. We are also the largest user of the Townsville Port and a major customer of Queensland Rail.
The QN Group has a long history of local sponsorship program that support numerous North Queensland organisations in the fields of arts, sport, community development, education and science.
We also encourage and support community involvement from our employees. Examples include:
- Charity fundraising barbeques and morning tea functions for Relay for Life (Leukaemia Foundation), Variety, Daffodil Day
- Blood Bank – the Red Cross mobile blood bank visits our refinery site four times a year, allowing employees to donate blood donations while on site.
- School Site Tours – We have supported requests by local schools to tour parts of our operations such as our laboratories.